Accidents During the Colder Months in Tennessee
Stay safe when driving this winter—call our lawyer if you are in a crash.
When the weather cools in Tennessee, the risk of accidents tends to increase. While accidents can seem inevitable—especially in poor weather conditions—the reality is that nearly all car crashes are preventable. At the office of Bednarz Law, our experienced Tennessee motor vehicle accident attorneys can help you to understand causes of accidents during the colder months in Tennessee, as well as your legal rights if you’re involved in a crash. Call us today for your free consultation to learn more.
Top Causes of Accidents During the Colder Months in Tennessee
Nearly all accidents that occur in Tennessee, regardless of the month of the year, are a result of driver negligence. Things like driving while impaired or distracted, speeding, and driving aggressively are top causes of accidents year-round. With that in mind, the following may contribute to an uptick in crashes during the colder months of the year—
- Holiday traffic. During the holidays, there tends to be a large increase in the amount of traffic, as many people hit the road to visit friends and family. What’s more, many out-of-towners aren’t familiar with roads, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Drunk driving. Unfortunately, drunk driving tends to increase during the holidays, as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years are big drinking holidays.
- Poor weather. Of course, poor weather can play a role in the number of accidents. While snow is less common than it is in northern states, it does fall and can lead to dangerous road conditions. Precipitation and poor visibility, slippery roads, and weather-related traffic congestion can all increase the risk of a crash.
- Poor lighting. With shorter days and less light, it may be harder for drivers to see, impacting visibility and the risk of a crash.
Avoiding Cold-Weather Accidents in Tennessee
By practicing safe, defensive driving behaviors, you can reduce your risk of being involved in an accident. Top tips for staying safe during the wintertime include:
- Slow your speed, especially when visibility is poor or there is adverse weather
- Give other drivers plenty of distance when following and lane changing, especially big trucks
- Always know your route in advance
- Leave a few minutes early or late to avoid the most congested times of the day
- Service your vehicle to get it winter-ready
- Always drive sober and distraction-free
Your Rights if You are Involved in a Tennessee Crash
If you are involved in a crash this holiday season, know that you have legal rights, including the right to seek compensation for your damages if the accident was caused by another’s negligence. You also have the right to work with an attorney, and at the law office of Bednarz Law, our Tennessee car accident lawyer will advocate for you. Our lawyer will help you to prove that your accident would not have occurred but for the negligence of the other party, and will aggressively negotiate to secure you the best settlement possible.
Call Today for Your Free Consultation
To learn more about your rights after a winter car accident, please call Bednarz Law directly today or send us a message online to request your free consultation.