Skilled Injury Lawyers Protecting the Rights of Victims in Nashville
When you suffer personal injuries, as the result of an accident or due to another’s reckless or negligent actions, it can leave you vulnerable and have far reaching impacts on every area of your life. At Bednarz Law, we have over 60 years combined experience in representing clients throughout the Nashville area. We provide trusted, personalized legal guidance, designed to get you results. The following are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we hear from clients:
1. I’ve filed a claim with an insurance company. Why do I need a personal injury attorney?
Unfortunately, insurance companies are in business to make a profit, and one of the ways they do this is limiting the amounts they pay out in claims. While they may attempt to blame you for your accident or dispute the extent of your injuries, our Nashville personal injury attorney acts as a strong legal advocate on your behalf. Our legal knowledge and skill in negotiations help you get the maximum amount you are entitled to.
2. What are the advantages of filing a personal injury lawsuit, rather than an insurance claim?
In some cases, filing a lawsuit in court may enable you to get a greater amount of compensation. Under Section 29-39-102 of the Tennessee Code, damages you may be entitled to collect in a personal injury lawsuit include:
- Current and future medical expenses;
- Lost wages and future losses in earnings and benefits;
- Compensation for pain and suffering;
- Punitive damages, which are meant to punish the at fault party for particularly reckless or negligent conduct.
3. What if I am partially responsible for the accident?
Under the legal theory of comparative negligence, you may be entitled to compensation even if your actions were partly to blame. Tennessee follows the rules of modified comparative negligence, meaning that as long as you are 50 percent or less responsible, you may still be entitled to compensation, though the amount would be reduced. For example:
- Your damages in an accident claim are estimated at $100,000;
- You are determined to be 40 percent responsible for the accident or your injuries;
- You may still be entitled to collect 60 percent of the damages, or $60,000.
4. How much does it cost to hire a personal injury attorney?
At Bednarz Law, we generally handle personal injury cases on a contingency basis. This means you pay nothing unless we win your claim. In addition to saving you from paying out of pocket, you can trust that we will work steadily in resolving your claim. In most cases, your legal fees will be added as an additional amount of compensation in any settlement or award from the court.
Let Us Assist You with Your Case
It is important to realize that you have only one chance to get what you are entitled to in a personal injury claim. Before signing any documents or accepting a settlement that may be less than what you need to recover, call or contact Bednarz Law online to request a consultation with our Nashville personal injury attorneys today.